Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spicy Orange Beef with Vegetables

For tonight's dinner, I tried a new recipe called Spicy Orange Beef with Vegetables. It was delicious! I found this recipe posted on FamilyCorner.com by member kathymac.


Here is the original recipe:

Spicy Orange Beef with Vegetables

Makes 4 servings.

3/4 pound beef top round, trimmed of all
visible fat, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 teaspoons canola oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 pound green beans
, halved crosswise
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 carrot, cut into matchstick-thin strips

(I doubled the recipe. I also subbed mushrooms for the carrots.)

Combine beef, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and orange rind in a medium bowl; toss well to coat and set aside. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, broth, orange juice, soy sauce, sugar and crushed pepper in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat a nonstick wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in 2 teaspoons of the oil, then add the beef. Stir-fry until cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Swirl the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, then add the ginger. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the green beans, bell pepper and carrot. Stir-fry until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Add the beef and cook until hot, about 1 minute.

Note: when I cooked the beef at the beginning, I left it slightly pink when I removed it from the pan. Since it is sliced so thin, it will finish cooking very quickly when you put it back in the pan at the end for an additional minute.

(The next time I make this, I am going to try it with a little more orange juice instead and less beef broth for more of a "orangey" flavor. I skipped the ginger because I didn't have any but I will definitely add it in the next time, along with a little more red pepper flakes.)

After all of the prep work, it comes together rather quickly and easily. I added spaghetti noodles to the dish instead of serving it over rice. Everyone really enjoyed it. It's a keeper!

I'm submitting this for my BookMarked Recipe of the Week for next week. Check here for more info. on how you can join me!


Check out this week's BookMarked Recipes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tami, this is yummmy... :):)

Tami said...

Hi Nina! :)

How have you been? This dish is really good and on the ++ side, both of my kids liked it!

Unknown said...

This looks absolutely delicious Tami!! I bet even my 4 picky kids would like it!! Photo is gorgeous!

Netts Nook said...

Tami this looks and sounds delish I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Tami said...

Hi Donna and Lynette :)

It was music to my ears that everyone here liked it. My son was even talking about it this morning. lol! It's definitely a meal that I will make again. I hope that both of you enjoy it. Let me know if you try it!

PG said...

This looks delicious! I'm always looking for new stirfry flavours. I'd like to give this one a try. Thanks for participating in this week's Bookmarked Recipes. I'll be posting the roundup soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...