Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Vegetable Beef Soup with Cheese Crisps - Low Carb, Too!

I cooked a big beef roast in my crockpot last week. The leftovers from that roast went into Monday's soup.

I changed the ingredients from my family's soup so that I could eat it without loading up on too many carbs. This soup turned out to be some of the best soup that I've ever eaten. 

This is certainly not just a low carb dish. Just double or triple this recipe to feed a family. 


Low Carb Vegetable Beef Soup
makes 2 hearty servings

2 C. beef broth
1/3 C shredded, cooked beef roast
1 small zucchini, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 turnip, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/4 C. cooked carrots ( I used leftovers)
1 - 1 1/2 C. coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage)
1 pinch each of: lemon-pepper seasoning, basil,
garlic powder & red pepper flakes

Pour beef broth into a med-sized pot. Turn heat to high to heat up the broth. Turn the heat down to medium.

Add the remaining ingredients. Cook the soup until the turnips and zucchini are tender - about 10 minutes.

While the soup is cooking, make the cheese crisps: 

Cheese Crisps

I make my cheese crisps a little differently than a lot of people... I like to use shredded cheese instead of cubed cheese. I also microwave them instead of baking them or cooking them on a stove top. Any way you choose to make them, they are so good!

There are great examples of how to make cheese crisps on Linda's Low Carb Recipes & Menus. She posts instructions, along with many pictures. I have had much success in the past using the microwave to make them.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...