Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chocolate Covered Raisin & Oatmeal Cookies - July '10 Cookie Carnival

July's Cookie Carnival brings us an oatmeal raisin cookie from Pillsbury as the kids baking recipe for the month.


Now, I have to admit that when I chose this recipe for the carnival, I already knew that it wasn't going to be the "best" oatmeal raisin cookie because IOO (in our opinions), we already posses the world's best -- Aud' Soft Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - a delicious soft chewy oatmeal raisin cookie from my MIL.

Since I like playing around and changing the ingredients with other oatmeal cookie recipes, I decided to give the Pillsbury recipe a try. I'm certainly not disappointed by this recipe. I used chocolate covered raisins in place of the raisins and nuts. Can you say MMMMM!!!! The recipe is versatile enough that you could easily switch out the raisins or nuts for other dried fruits, butterscotch or peanut butter chips, macadamia nuts, yogurt covered fruit or nuts....the list goes on and on.

I underbaked the cookies by a minute or so and baked them until the cookies were just starting to brown - the cookies stayed chewy that way. The melted chocolate mixed very with the oatmeal and raisins.

I can't wait to see the round up to see what every does to add their own twist on this recipe!

Chocolate Covered Raisin & Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup sugar - I used 1/2 C.
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup raisins - I subbed 1 C. choc. covered raisins 
for raisins and nuts

Heat oven to 375°F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; blend well. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, raisins and nuts.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto sprayed cookie sheets. I used my 1 1/2 in. cookie scoop for these cookies and then slightly flattened each scoop of cookies on the tray before baking. 


Bake at 375°F. for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. I reduced my oven to 350* and baked the cookies for 9-10 minutes. Store in a sealed container. 


Very good with a cup of hot tea!

Even though I couldn't talk my kids into baking with me this time around, they enjoyed eating the cookies. My son raved about them.


If you love cookies like we do, why not join in on the fun!

Join the Cookie Carnival today! 

8 comments:

rebecca @ beurrista said...

I haven't baked oatmeal cookies in many, many years, as my kids aren't big raisin fans. The last time that I did, I subbed in raisinets too! Yours look delicious and soft.

Tami said...

Thanks, Rebecca! I was happy with the way they turned out. :) I might make them again with dried cranberries and macadamia nuts. My daughter just discovered that she likes dried cranberries and pineapple.

Pam said...

They look delicious and I could go for one right now! Great unique recipe!

Fay said...

These look great!!!!!! My mouth is watering! ;)

Michelle said...

What a great idea! I love chocolate covered raisins!

Unknown said...

I love the chocolate covered raisin swap out. Great idea!

Tessa said...

Did you get a new blog design? I like it a lot! You definitely have me thinking about other add-in's now. I'm thinking yogurt covered raisins...

Your cookies look great! I actually made these this month with chocolate chips, but didn't get any pictures of them to post =( Thanks for picking a great recipe!

P.S. I don't have any kids myself, but wanted to let you know that I'm loving the kids recipe for the cookie carnival because I often bake to share. Thanks for all your hard work!

Tiffiny Felix said...

So clever to use chocolate-covered raisins! I'm going to stash that idea away in my "file" ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...