Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting Ready for School & Relying on Family Favorites for Dinner

Admittedly, I've been a bad blogger for a while now. For that, I'm sorry. I have missed blogging every day terribly. But because I chose to step back and focus on the things at home that needed to be done before school starts this coming Wednesday, I was able to attend my daughter's orientation day today more relaxed than I have ever been at those meetings. I went in knowing that I would not have to spend a cent and that I would'nt look like a lunatic at WalMart tonight with all of the other parents who put school shopping off until the last minute.

We have new clothes and shoes ready for wear. New back packs are stuffed with school supplies and signed forms ready to walk out the door. Bedtime routines have be put into action. Soccer practices are going well and we've worked out routines on how we will handle practices that are on school nights - I've even written down some menus for those crazy nights.

At the end of last school year, I was asked to join our PTA School Board. I gladly accepted because I love being involved in my children's schools. I wear the new hat of "hospitality leader" for the teachers and staff. Everyone seems to work well together. They've been so nice to welcome me into their group. I will be busy running around doing school "things" for the next couple of days.

On top of all of this, my husband has decided that he's looking for a change in his line of work - not changing companies, just jobs within the company - this will mean that once he gets the bid, he will be in for weeks of training - and taking this 3rd shift man and putting him on a daylight schedule means loads of fun for me. (not!) But, I'll deal with that when the time comes. He loves his job so if this makes him happy, we will make it work. Now we wait to hear something....it might be a week or it might be a year... let's just hope it's sooner than later.

I'm not complaining, really! I'm just happy to see school roll around this year. I'm ready to get back into a regular routine. Maybe I'm getting old. I've never been a "routine" type of person. I even miss menu planning. I plan on starting that again this week. And with all of this planning, I'm going to pencil in some definite blogging time for me!

Speaking of blogging, I always wonder if other bloggers are like me and go back to actually cook the recipes they've blogged about again and again or if you just cook your recipes one time and move on?  If you're reading this, I'd appreciate it if you would post a comment and let me know how you feel/what you do with your recipes.

Here's some of the recipes from my blog that we've enjoyed for the past couple of weeks:

Oven Fried Chicken

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast and Hash Brown Casserole

Picnic Pasta Salad

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Red Pepper & Parmesan Talapia

Turkey Sloppy Joes


My kids and I have plans to make rice krispy treats, chocolate covered pretzel stacks, granola bars and August's Cookie Carnival cookies this week.

I'll see ya soon!

Happy Cooking!
Tami

3 comments:

Michelle said...

my son leaves early and is so hungry when he gets home from band practice that I have been starting dinner the night before, so less work as soon as we get home. Really helps with a starving teenager!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling with school starting! I make a lot of my recipes that I have on my blog over and over. ;)

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I'm down a driver AND an eater, with my oldest off to college. So with the 2 youngest in sports, I'm definitely going to be sticking with the tried and true until I get in the swing of the upcoming school year--just 10 days away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...